For more information please visit... www.toolOfTheUniverse.org    


Sunday, September 28, 2008

Rethinking Spirituality

Traditionally, spirituality had much to do with mysticism, esoteric, and unexplainable things. I think, though, it is possible to use logic and rational thinking when defining one's spiritual system, too. Usually, if we do not understand something, we tend to find mystical explanations. Thunder and lightnings were considered to be a sign for God to be angry. Today we know it is just a natural phenomena, and we understand why it is happening. I think, the same is happening for most of our mystical explanations: once we learn more, we can start to understand what is happening and why.
In my quest to find my own spiritual frame-work, I observed that too. There are many instances, where we choose to believe a mystical explanation, but after thinking things through carefully, a logical, rational explanation can be found.
There are always aspects that can not explained, where we have to just decide to believe something. Anything about this physical world that we live in, has the potential of being explainable – some of it we already are able to understand, much of it we still have to figure out. Anything that goes beyond our physical existence will never be provable, but remain a matter of personal belief. I find, though, that for anything we can explain, we shouldn't continue to use a mystical concept. Just because we can understand what is happening, doesn't make it any less miraculous, any less wonder-full. It is actually even more amazing.
However, the idea of replacing mystical tales with the real explanations when possible, is a major break from the traditional spiritual teachings of our religions. Changes are always met with resistance. People always try to fight new ideas, new perspectives. Especially, when it comes to spiritual topics. Eventually, though, we adapt and embrace these new concepts.
This website (www.toolOfTheUniverse.org) is dedicated to rethink traditional spiritual approaches, replace out-dated mystical tales with logical, rational explanations. What struck me by surprise first, and excitement and happiness later, was the fact, that many of these new ideas actually meet exactly much of what is described in many of the old spiritual scriptures like the Bible, the Qu'ran, the Bhagavad Gītā, and others. They are just different ways of looking at the analogies, different interpretations of the models. Once we allow ourselves to put aside traditional interpretations, which are so colored by the culture and limited understanding of the world from the time when they were formulated, we can see the actual message. Once we remove the packaging, we can get a glimpse of the real content – and that content is amazing, beautiful, and hope-inspiring!
I am excited about these new perspectives for two reasons:
first, so many analogies and stories from the old scriptures make so much more sense now, and are so much more relevant and applicable to my life in the 21st century, than with the traditional interpretations.
And secondly, a world is now much more feasible, where all humans are living in peace with each other and the environment. The traditional spiritual guidelines try to force peace onto us from the outside. There are rules; must-do's and don't do's, judgment and punishment. The new perspective works from the inside. It is based on understanding. Peace results as a logical consequence of the inner attitude towards this world and all humans. It is no longer our fear for punishment, that prevents us from doing something we ought not to do. It is our understanding of our role, and our eagerness to fulfill this role, that makes us want to do what needs to be done.
There is no longer a disconnect between what is going on in my life and in my spirituality. No more contradictions, or unexplainable rules. Things start to make sense! My spirituality now is clear, easy to understand, very relevant and applicable to my life as “spirited animal” of this world. It turns into a life-style, it permeates everything that I do: my work, my personal life, my relationships, the way I deal with my kids, my siblings, parents and everybody else. It gives me direction and purpose.
I am eternally thankful for having been allowed to learn about this new approach. I am tremendously hopeful, that we humans will be able to turn around and stop destroying each other and the world we live in. And I am excited to be part of the generation where this new understanding is starting to crystallize and the long awaited Spiritual (R)evolution is happening!



Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home